Friday, August 24, 2012

Bookend


"The Intimate Book Group," l-r: Frances Moore, Mary Elizabeth Keister and Marilyn Brenneman, May 2009 (Kate's LRDC)

Today, I attended a Celebration of Life. A very long life. A life well lived. My friend, Mary Elizabeth Keister, was 99 years old when she died earlier this month.

Mary Elizabeth and I were the "bookends" of our little reading group -- the last two members living in Greensboro. We had been a group of four. Four friends who enjoyed referring to ourselves as the "Intimate Book Group" (The Book Group, June 23, 2009). Frances Moore died in 2009 (Remembering Frances, September 17, 2009), and Marilyn Brenneman moved to Colorado a year later to be with her daughter.

Although Mary Elizabeth's eyesight didn't allow her to read even large-print books in her last years, she had such a vast knowledge of, and love for, literature, that she would never be at a loss in any discussion of books and authors. (4/20 -- If Yesterday Was Your Birthday, April 20, 2009).

In fact, I'm sure Mary Elizabeth never found herself at a loss in any conversation.

Although I've know her for years, because my friend was such a humble person, and because she always graciously accommodated my propensity to ramble on about books I've read -- well, about everything -- I never really grasped the scope of her contribution to the world. I read her brief biography on the back of the program today with a lump in my throat, realizing how privileged I'd been that she had considered me a friend. (Oh, to think that sometimes I would have preferred to stay in bed on a Saturday morning -- what I would have missed!)

Dr. (I don't think I was even aware of her title) Keister had a love of children, beginning with her baby sister, that led her to several degrees and a career in child welfare, preschool education and improving programs at women's colleges throughout the world, taking her to India, Rome (with the United Nations), Nigeria, Afghanistan, to name a few places.

She never married or had children of her own, but loved and influenced her 11 nieces and nephews, one of whom spoke so lovingly about her Aunt "Bubba" today, it made my heart ache.

I will always regret that the last time Mary Elizabeth and I got together for McDonald's cinnamon rolls (a guilty pleasure that we only indulged at our monthly get-togethers), coffee and conversation a few months ago was the last time I saw her. She went into hospice care several weeks later, and I learned of her passing the day I called to make arrangements to visit her. I had downloaded "Little Bee" on my Kindle, and was planning to read it to her. That book will serve as my reminder to never put off doing a kindness for someone. Mary Elizabeth never would have.

Bookends no more. I exchanged e-mail messages with Marilyn earlier today, and it seems that we both feel the same way...Our Intimate Book Group was so special, we can't imagine getting involved with other groups. We were special, and I am so thankful for the time we had to be together. And now I am just a single bookend.










4 comments:

yourplatekate said...

Oh Kate, you have such a way with words.

Unknown said...

Kate, I am lamenting the fact that I didn't have the right words to do this justice -- What an amazing lady she was!

Cindy Ricksgers said...

What a wonderful way to honor a special friend! This is lovely. Thank you for sharing, Kate!

Wendy said...

What a special lady she was. Think of her every time you read a book and her memory will stay alive.